My name is Tatiana, but my friends and family call me Tutta. I love writing articles that bring a little creativity to everyday life.
If you're great on roller skates and comfortable taking an elbows-out approach with others, then roller derby might be the contact sport for you! If you’ve ever witnessed the sometimes brutal competition of a derby bout, then you know just how tough you need to be for the sport.
What Is Roller Derby and How Does It Work?
Roller derby is a sport that takes place in a skating rink with players wearing roller skates. Teams, known as packs, race around the rink in an effort to score against the other team. Scoring happens when a designated player on each team, known as the jammer (marked by a big star on the helmet), makes their way through the group of teammates and opponents, known as the blockers. Getting through the blockers isn't easy; the jammer faces an often-fierce phalanx of hips, butts, and shoulders! Ahead of the blockers are the pivots, who set the pace for the group of blockers.
It can get brutal, but there are rules to be followed and penalties to be issued for illegal blocking. Some illegal moves include using elbows, tripping, back blocking, and passing out of bounds. You can block the other players only by touching them on the side or front from the shoulder to the thigh, but touching anywhere else is illegal in this game.
How to Come Up With a Skater Name
Most players skate under pseudonyms, also known as "derby names" or "skater names." Coming up with a name for yourself can be tricky, so unless your team can bestow one on you naturally, here are some tips for choosing your own roller derby name:
- Personality: You roller derby name should match your personality. If you're loud and proud, "Big Mouth Bitch" or "Banshee" might be good matches. If you're a girly girl, something like "Kruisin' Kitten," or "Duchess of the Derby" could work.
- Interests: If you have other passions apart from derby, incorporate them into your name, for example: "Bleeding Mascara" (for those Atreyu fans), or "Indominous" for Jurassic World junkies! Talk about a badass female, am I right?!
- Appearance: If you're over 5'10", you have to play that up with a great name like "Lady Liberty" or "Amazon." If you're a redhead, try "Ginger-Neck-Snap," "Red Hot," "Cherry Choker," or "Derby Devil" on for size.
60 Roller Derby Skater Name Ideas
Miss United Skates
Lord of the Rink
Nine Inch Nails
Rusty Razor Blades
Jammin' & Rammin'
The USS Bloodbath
Long Arm Lolita
Beware of Bitch
Chief of Skate
Avatar of Dispair
Hit and Run
One Hit Wonder
The Gruesome Twosome
Sweet 'n Sour
How to Come Up With a Team Name
So you’re putting together your pack? You will certainly need a good name! Here are some tips for coming up with the perfect roller derby team name:
- Feminine: Your team name should refer to something feminine, yet still convey that you mean business!
- Fierce: Nothing says you mean business like a fierce name. Your name should make other teams quake with fear. Think intimidating!
- Funny: One thing we can all agree on, a funny name is better than one that isn't! Make sure to include as many rolling puns as you can; i.e., "The Rolling Pins: Baking Up Some Bruises!"
40 Roller Derby Team Name Ideas
The Punishers (Mom Team)
Girls of Fury
Swiss Cake Rollers
Cruisin' n' Bruisin'
Angels of Anger
Ladies of the Fight
Slammin' Jammin Roller Babes
The Derby Dolls of Detroit
Ready to Kick Some...
I don’t know about you, but if I were playing against any of these teams, I’d be pretty intimidated by the sound of their names! They capture everything you need in a team name for this sport.
I hope this article has given you a few good ideas to help you brainstorm the perfect derby name for yourself, your teammates, and your team as a whole. Go out there and be fierce!
hell on wheels on September 23, 2020:
I LOVE DERBY !
Jesse on April 18, 2020:
I’m a roller derby kid in the juniors
Heather on February 16, 2020:
I'm trying out this week for a team and I always wondered if should you earn your name or pick one yourself...
Mount Crushmore on January 02, 2020:
I love hip checking and crushing the souls of little hearts who wanted to win WHOS WITH ME?
My name is Samathma the Intimadater 3 on November 21, 2019:
We have a great team named bump and grind we have won alot of games we just beat the Seattle Roller Rats On New Year's Day we will play the Kansas City Rockers
Lil Kraken Skulls on October 30, 2019:
Im lil kraken sculls, i still play, and beleive me, i have ACTUALLY kraked skulls
Christopher Nowak on September 06, 2019:
I remember SKINNY MINNIE MILLER and DYNAMITE DARRYL DAVIS from the 1970s and possibly the 1980s.
What about listing names of specific individuals like these.
Cassidy on May 13, 2019:
these are good names
doomsday addems on March 25, 2019:
hi i dont think this helped my mom