My name is Tatiana, but my friends and family call me Tutta. I love writing articles that bring a little creativity to everyday life.
Not only is Shaq, which of course, short for his real name Shaquille, a pro baller, but he's also a pro at coming up with great nicknames! He's actually gone by several nicknames over the years, including Shaq Daddy, The Diesel, The Big Fella, Big Shamrock, and M.D.E (Most Dominant Ever), just to name a few.
He earned his nicknames throughout his career and was well-known by his nicknames because of his natural talent to play b-ball. Everybody has to start somewhere though, so if you’re in the sport, it’s time to consider a nickname for you and other teammates!
|Ball Hog||King Kong|
Daddy Long Legs
Jolly Green Giant
Alta (Spanish for tall)
Mama Long Legs
Tips for Choosing a Great Nickname
Now that you've read through some example nicknames, it's time to come up with some awesome basketball nicknames for yourself and your teammates. Here are some quick tips to help you along.
- Player’s name: An obvious way to give a basketball player a nickname would be to play around with their real name and see what you can come up with. Avoid typical nicknames, such as “Billy” for “William.” Unless of course, you add on a word, such as to make the nickname “Billy Ball.”
- Player’s number: Numbers are bound to change throughout a basketball career, especially if starting out in grade school. However, the number will always be a part of their history in the game, so finding clever ways to use the number can work out beautifully.
- Basketball terms: There are many terms specific to basketball that can really be helpful in coming up with some names. Think dribbling, slam dunks, traveling, etc. You can probably come up with a few humorous puns!
- “Tall” terms: I’ve honestly never seen a short person make it big (pun intended), so think tall names as the person you’re trying to nickname is likely tall if they play basketball seriously.
- Team colors: Like numbers, team colors will eventually change throughout a basketball career, but that doesn’t mean you can’t look to the colors for some inspiration! “Big Blue” and “Green Giant” come to mind!
- Childhood nicknames: Throwbacks never hurt anyone! Well, that all depends. I suppose you wouldn’t want to be called Mr. Poop-a-loochki on the courts, would ya? Do be careful with this one, some of us had really odd nicknames as babies!
Once you've got your nicknames, it's time to cruise the court in a sweet custom jersey with your new nickname on it!
© 2016 Tatiana
Jiggy on May 20, 2020:
My name is Jiggy. I get called Jiggy Bc I get Jiggy in the court. Hey might say hey Jiggy hey Jiggy wit it I look at them and I get Jiggy wit it you fill me! I AM A TOMBOY. Also I’m 10 my mom disagrees with my name b everyone likes it I want my AirPods to be called Jiggys AirPods. She tells me no
P.T.D on April 01, 2020:
I call myself this cause everyone says I'm Programmed To Dominate P.T.D is short for that.
nay nay long legs on March 05, 2020:
this is my basketball name nay nay long legs
NOVA(real name btw) on March 04, 2020:
I like shawty
hafsa on November 30, 2019:
i really liked the name queen baller
Loading... on November 26, 2019:
Mine is deep three
Lovell on November 20, 2019:
I found the perfect name!!
Baby blue on November 01, 2019:
I play for the school and need nick names for 14 or 13 players
Soha on October 12, 2019:
I am a hooper and i want a name that is olny like 2 letter like a boys will be ac that is a good one but i want a better one for a girl that is a basketball player
DIrty30 on September 18, 2019:
Hello my name is Kyra Karfakis and im a 6'0 foot tall girl and my number is 30. I play really rough and a coach i played against was screaming one game at the refs that "number 30 is playing dirty" and from then on my name is dirty30. so one calls my name in the halls anymore they say "hey dirty30". That is what a real nickname is not something someone comes up with randomly, nicknames are accidental. :)
HottieMcshotty on September 08, 2019:
I like kyrie irving and people say i handle the shots and handling like kyrie
Nightmare newman on September 02, 2019:
6th grade form Pennsylvania known as nightmare Newman because imma nightmare on the quart
weaver on August 01, 2019:
I'm one of the best6th graders in houston i average 25 points a game i got a deadly 3ball and can finish anytime i want whats my nickname
Bob The Builder on July 15, 2019:
I love potatoes.
lolgamer on October 11, 2018:
Kason The Great on September 29, 2018:
I can dribble really fast and finish in the paint like Kyrie, what's my name. And i'm very fast.(Also good at mid-range)
Next KD on September 23, 2018:
I'm the next splash brother from the 3 point line, I can take ankles, and I'm a big guy. I'm in the 8th grade. What's my nickname?
Lora on June 11, 2018:
Really good name
Tina on June 07, 2018:
I'm Stilts because I'm really young and really tall.
Tobias on June 06, 2018:
Nothing for mid range?
landan on April 16, 2018:
Im 6'2 and in the 7th grade.Im a post im so wet from the 3 point line. what could me my name?
Deez Nutz on April 08, 2018:
I beat my meat whats my name
B.R.M on February 20, 2018:
I'm a 5'11 7th grade girl basketball player. I'm a post and I am left handed..My shot is wet!! And i'm good at 3 pointers. I like to block shots too..What could be my name?
Ryan B. on February 02, 2018:
I am a great at ball handling, inside shots, layups, and I’m tall and fast. What should my nickname be?
Dylan castiglia on December 28, 2017:
I am a deadly outside the ark and I am small
Jd on December 27, 2017:
I’m a 3 point shooter and I’m a driver. I’m 4,11 so I’m not tall, and I’m very fast. What’s my nickname?
Daniel on November 22, 2017:
I can drain threes, to jelly layups, dribble, I can pass far and fast, I got speed, I ha e good grip on the ball, I can shoot in the paint, and I can play good defense.
Jordan Whitfield on November 20, 2017:
What my nickname im a 3-pointer, dunker, and i got a sharp jumpshot
Rhashad on October 02, 2017:
Need a nickname
Andre on September 12, 2017:
Need nickname for my name (Andre)