We take a look at some famous male personalities (mostly actors) who stand at least 4 inches shorter than their dads.
1. Bill Gates - Bill Gates is one of the richest and most influential personalities in the world. Bill Gates stands at around 5'9" and with a dad that stands at a staggering 6'7", you would think Bill should have been at least 6'0" tall. I guess there is no need to feel bad about the tall genes backfiring on you if you inherit the genius gene.
2. Jaden Smith - The Pursuit of Happyness star and the son of one of the most powerful actors in Hollywood stands at around 5'8". His dad, Will Smith, is 6'2". His mum, Jada Pinkett, is only 4'11 and so that might explain why he stands over 5 inches shorter than his dad.
3. Kiefer Sutherland - Kiefer Sutherland is best known for his portrayal of Jack Bauer on the Fox drama series 24. His father, Donald Sutherland, is also an actor and stood at 6'4" in his prime. Keifer, on the other hand, stands at only 5'9" which is astonishing considering the height of his dad.
4. Robert Downey Jr. - Robert Downey Jr. has been caught wearing high heels and lifts in his footwear just to appear taller. At 5'8", he seems to have some insecurities about his height. To make matters worse, his dad, Robert John Downey Sr., stands at 6'3". Robert Downey Jr. might have grown up as a kid thinking he would be at least 6'0" only to end up slightly below the US average male's height.
5. Scott Caan - At a mere height of 5'5", this actor has shown that size doesn't always matter. Scott Caan's dad, James Caan, who is also an actor, stands at 5'9". Scott is 4 inches shorter than his dad which is quite unusual.
6. Josh Brolin - Josh Brolin is best known for his work as Llewelyn Moss in No Country for Old Men. At 5'10", he is not particularly short. However, if you consider that his dad, James Brolin, stands at 6'4", you begin to think Josh should have been at least 6'0". That goes to show how complex the genetics of height is.
7. Scott Eastwood - Scott Eastwood is an American actor and model and is the youngest son of Academy Award-winning actor-director Clint Eastwood. Clint Eastwood, who is 6'4", towers over his son, Scott, by a good 5 inches.
8. Timothy Hutton - Timothy Hutton is the youngest recipient in the Best Supporting Actor Category of the Academy Awards which he won at the age of 20. His father was actor Jim Hutton. Timothy Hutton stands 4 inches shorter than his 6'4" dad.