How to Get Tickets for Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships (Plan Now for 2019)
Wimbledon Tickets for World-Class Tennis
To get tickets for the Wimbledon tennis tournement at their original price, you need to think ahead. Start to prepare now for next year.
- Make a note in your diary to check the official Wimbledon site in August. The date for entering the ballot for tickets is published then.
- Send off your entry as soon as possible. You do not want to miss the December closing date and Christmas mail can delay post at this time of year.
- Keep an eye out for the results of the postal ballot in January/ February. If you know you will be away from home, get a friend to check your mail for you. If you fail to formally accept the offer in time tickets are re-offered to another entrant in the ballot.
- If you are not successful in the ballot, try queuing on the day. Get there early and be prepared to be wait in line for several hours.
Tennis has an estimated 1 billion fans worldwide.
Globally, it is the fourth most popular spectator sport. It is in top position if team games are excluded from the ranking.— topendsports.com
Plan Ahead to See Tennis Players in Real Life
Watching sport on TV can be absorbing. Close-up camera shots highlight each player’s strengths and weaknesses. But to experience the heady atmosphere of anticipation, tension and excitement, you need to be physically present at a match.
If you want to visit Wimbledon tennis championships in England, ignore high-priced tickets offered by specialist ticketing and travel agencies. Don’t be fooled into paying over the odds. There are cheaper (and legal) ways to see the stars without paying through the nose for the privilege. With a little forward planning you will be able to buy match tickets for no more than their original face value.
All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) Public Ballot
The best way to get tickets at face value is to buy them direct from AELTC (the organization that owns and runs the Wimbledon tennis championships). They sell match tickets via a well-organized public ballot system.
Tickets for the Wimbledon championships are hot property and although their resale is banned, high demand for them encourages ticket touts. Unless you buy a ticket direct from the organizers, you will pay an inflated price. In addition, an illegally resold ticket may be declared null and void when you try to use it.
The AELTC ballot is designed to be fair to everyone who enters. Each applicant has an equal chance of having their application form selected. To take part in this public ballot, you need to complete an application form for the draw. Each person is only allowed one entry into the draw. Entries are drawn randomly and if your name is selected you are given the opportunity to buy up to two tickets for one day of the Wimbledon tournament.
You won’t be able to specify which day you would like to attend. If you are offered an inconvenient match-day, you do not have to take up the option to buy the tickets. You may get lucky and be given the chance to buy tickets for Finals Day. However, even the chance to spectate one of the early rounds would make an interesting and exciting day out. And don't forget to eat some iconic strawberries and cream!
Tennis Stars Reveal How They Eat Wimbledon Strawberries
How to Enter the Public Ticket Ballot
- The ballot is public and open to everyone.
- There is no charge to enter the ballot, but if you are offered the chance to buy (up to two tickets), you would need to pay immediately and in full, to reserve them. There is no penalty if you decide not to take up this offer.
- If you live in the United Kingdom you can enter the ballot either online or by post.
- If you live outside the UK you may only enter the ballot for Wimbledon tennis tickets via the online application site.
- The ballot is only open for a limited period. You should always check on the official All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) website to see the dates that apply to the current year.
- Applications from both UK residents and international fans are accepted from August through to December of the year before the June tournament. For example, if you want to enter the ballot for Wimbledon 2019, you need to make a paper or online entry between August 2018 and December 2018.
- The results of the ballot are decided during the February prior to the tournament. In the above example you will receive the opportunity to purchase tickets in February 2018.
Are You Watching Wimbledon This Year?
Buying Resale (or Returned) Tickets
Not everyone is sufficiently organized to apply for match tickets via the postal ballot. Entering the ballot means planning a year ahead and many of us like to do things more spontaneously. So, the other way to buy tickets at their original price or less is to queue for resale or return tickets on the day.
Resale or returned tickets have been returned to the booking office to be offered (legitimately) for resale. Hundreds of people queue and camp out overnight in order to get these tickets. You will be given a numbered queue card to show your place in the line. The video below shows one fan’s experience of a good-humored wait to get some Wimbledon tickets.
How to Get Court Tickets on the Day
Summer Weather in England
Summer weather is unpredictable in the UK. It can be a heat-wave or a torrential rain-storm during Wimbledon fortnight. The viewing stands and outside spectator areas are not covered; they are open to the elements.
You may get soaked from heavy rain or sunburnt from strong sunshine. You need to be prepared if you want to enjoy the tennis. Remember to take SPF 30+ sun-cream and an umbrella with you.
Don’t Get Caught by Ticket Scams
There are many scammers out to make a quick buck from your love of sport. Don’t be tempted to buy Wimbledon tickets from online resellers. They will be illegal sales and you will not be able to use them on the day.
The official Wimbledon public ticket ballot via their website is the only legitimate way to buy match tickets in advance. The internet site to use for the All England Tennis Championships (AELTC) for 2019 and beyond is Wimbledon.com
If you are successful and get match tickets, the official Wimbledon website has lots of useful information to help plan your visit. An A-Z of frequently asked questions includes advice on where you can park your bicycle, the availability of food and drink for special diets, as well as detailing transport options to get to the grounds. There is also an AELTC tennis museum and tours of the facility if you want to make the most of your visit to Wimbledon.
The total number of Wimbledon spectators in 2017 was 473,372 across 13 days.
In 2016, 493,928 attended the tennis championships over 14 days.— Wimbledon.com
When Can You Buy Tickets For Wimbledon 2019?
The ticket ballot for 2019 opens once the current tournement is over. The 2018 Wimbledon tennis championships take place during July.
So from August 2018 you will be able to enter your details for the 2019 ballot on the official All England Lawn Tennis Championships website; Wimbledon (dot) com.